Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Corporate Cup 1/2 Marathon Report - week 11

This weeks training wasn't all that exciting. I only ran about 24 miles. This is because I took this week as a step back week in my training. There are several reasons this was done.
  1. This is what the plan called for! At this point, every other week of training is a step back week until I get to my training.
  2. After last week's 40 something miles, I am tired!!!
  3. I am running a 1/2 marathon on Saturday! I still did the scheduled runs, they were just shorter and slower to help me recover enough to run 13.1 miles on Saturday.
Monday was 6 slow miles.
Tuesday, I swam an easy 1500.
Wednesday I changed the hill work to 5 miles with a few faster strides.
Thursday, I swam 1700 good quality miles.
Friday, I rested from exercise.
Saturday I completed the 1/2!

So let me start from the beginning.
I normally don't talk about my job. This isn't because I don't like it. It is because I am a mental health therapist and everything I do I confidential. That means that no one knows who I see or what they tell me. I am a great secrete keeper! :0) I see a variety of people. However, I mainly step in when something isn't going well with a family. So I spend a lot of my time with children and teens.
I absolutely LOVE what I do, but it is stressful. I deal with my stress by running. So I have all my medals hanging in my office. Children love this. They always ask me about them, want to touch them, and want to take one home. However, I have never let a child have a medal until recently. She didn't ask to have a medal. She asked me if I could run a race for her and give her my medal. At her young age, she has been through (and seen) things that no one should have to go through or see. Her circumstances keep me up at night, so I said yes. I chose the Corporate Cup 1/2 to be her race.

I had planned to race this 1/2, however, my voice of reason (named Michelle) explained that I needed to figure out what was my "A" race.....This 1/2 or Boston. Well Boston is my "A" race.. So this race would be a fun and I chose not to run it all out. I thank Michelle for her wisdom! :0)
So the goal for this race was to pray for this little girl, thank every police officer on the course, and to have fun!!!
Saturday morning came.
As normal, I got up and spent time with my Lord.  I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich, peed several times, then hopped in the car with Michelle and went to the race.

Our church also had a group running in this race and another 5k in Charlotte. So what better way to show up at a race but by wearing the same shirt. The shirt has a big +1 on the front. This means that we are here to help people with physical, emotion, and spiritual needs, one at a time. For example, we have been going into the community helping people clean up, get food, and clothing after a recent tornado in our area. Helping 1 person at a time.
We take a quick picture and head to the starting line. I peed at least 4 times, but when we started the race, I had to pee again. But I would have to think about that later....

The Race!
My plan was to take this race 3 miles at a time!
The 1st 3 miles.
I used these miles as a warm up. I didn't want to go out to fast so I just tried to ease into it. I felt good and really didn't feel like I was pushing.
8:24
8:21
8:13
Then the 5k people turned off. The funniest thing about these miles was a little boy (about 9 years old) who was running the 5k. He did not want me and Michelle to pass him. He would speed up every time we got too close. We begged him to just stay with us and keep a steady pace... But he did not want to take the chance we would finish first. No worries little buddy, we are doing the 1/2.
Miles 4, 5, 6
These miles were just to get into the groove. Getting into a good pace. We passed Michelle's car and contemplated going and getting coffee. But for some reason we didn't. We had several people want to join the coffee excursion. So it would have been fun. :0) Right at mile 6 we took a gel. I quickly realized I did not drink enough water with the gel, but it wasn't too bad. At mile 8 we should pass another water stop.
8:04
8:16
8:01
Miles 7, 8, 9
Somewhere around mile 7 we see a friend running. She was struggling because she had a fever the night before. So she was sick and it took me 7 miles to catch her! Wow! This is where the real hills begin. I try not to think too far ahead so as not to get overwhelmed. The miles were click'n off and I felt great. I even told Michelle that I was surprised at how good I felt.  However, I was waiting to see when the race would get hard.... as it always does.
8:08
8:07
8:13
Mile 10, 11, 12
At this point, I knew I would PR. I felt so good! As I started up Morehead, I almost got overwhelmed. I was thinking about my little client and started to cry! I knew this would do me no good because I still had about 2 miles to go and they were straight up Morehead! So I sucked it up and kicked it in. Up to this point, there was no wall and I was glad I didn't have another 13.1 more miles to go!
8:12
8:05
8:02 -going up, up, up!
Mile 13!
This was my fastest mile! I smiled all the way in. I knew I had given it a good go! I could have gone faster and further, but I feel like I raced smart and had a good time. 7:52!!! Up to the finish line! As I passed through the line, at 1:47.25, I knew I would be proud to give this medal away! I had a great race! I finished strong! I PRed!  I even came in 4th out of 54 in my age group!! I thanked every police officer and volunteer on the course. And I had more to give!

I can't wait to see what Boston holds. I hope it is a day like today. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment