Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 7 - 2/5/12-2/11/12

Kellie Pickler sings the country song "Tough".  I love this song and have it on my marathon play list.  In fact, I have it on the special play list that I have affectionately named "Hard Times".  This is the play list that is called upon to get me those last few miles.  It helps me get in my head that I can handle more pain than I think.  It helps me break through the wall.  It helps me to feel "Tough"!
Here are the words:
Tough, I ain't ever been nothing but tough.
My edges have always been rough
But Jesus loves me anyway
Backbone,
there ain't nothing wrong with a woman
who got a little backbone.
You want a shy little thing,
a pretty little high heel thing
gonna cry if I don't polish up....Tough!

Now.... running a marathon takes a bit of "tough"!  But not just physically.  After mile 20, for me, it is more mental than physical.  So I start playing mind games!  I start telling myself I am Tough.  I can finish this race.  I envision the finish line.  I start going deep inside myself to pull whatever I have left out to finish this race.
But training for a marathon also takes a bit of "Tough".  Training is created to break your body down so it will build back up with more "Tough"!  This week I ran almost 40 miles, ending with a double long run of 17 miles on Friday and 8 on Saturday!
"There ain't nothing wrong with a woman who's got a little backbone! Tough!"

Monday pace run!
Today was an 8 mile run with 4 miles being at pace.  This was not really that big of deal, as an 8:30 pace is where my body goes naturally.  However, we had to get creative with it.  Remember the calf cramp from Sunday... It was still lurking in my calf, ready to take me down at any point.  I also had Zoe with me, traffic was BAD on David Taylor, and the soft dirt trail (where we add on miles) was covered in mud and water.  I did come up a bit short on this run.  However, I got my 4 miles at pace done.  I thought that .7 of a cool down mile would not totally derail my training...and Zoe was done, so I finished up and was happy!

Tuesday was swim/core!
I got the crazy idea to swim a bit then jump out of the pool and do some core, then swim some more then more core....blah, blah, blah! 
WU: 500...
Workout: 100...
pushups, triceps...
100...
planks
100...
pushups, triceps...
100...
setups...
100...
pushups, triceps...
100...
setups...
100...
CD: 300
1500 meters of swimming plus core work!  By the time I finished, I was shaking.

Wednesday = Hills!
7xhill to be exact!  With the help from Holly and Michelle, I chose to run some hills that resemble the 1st half of Boston.  I ran these 6 times then bolted up David Taylor.  I held a good pace and tackled some good hills without much stopping.

Thursday I took as a rest day!
I knew I had 17 on Friday + 8 on Saturday = 25 miles!  So I thought a day off from working out would "work out" best for me.

Friday was my 17 mile long run!
It was damp, cold, and cloudy! Michelle, Holly and I met and ran.  The plan was to keep it slower the first few miles, then up the pace if we felt like it.  Holly was going 10 miles, Michelle had 15, and I had 17.  I'm glad to have these girls run with me!  It makes training so much more fun.  I ran around 11.66 then Holly was finished.  We went back at the car to refill our water, then Michelle and I went back out.  We did an out and back course.  The last 3 miles we started upping the pace.  I looked at my Garmin and we were doing around an 8:00 mile!  I knew that this would get it over faster...so I turned to Kellie Pickler for inspiration!  I heard her talk about being tough!  I think I even started telling myself out loud that I was "Tough"!  Several people passed us and gave me weird looks... but hey, I didn't care because I was almost done! And I was tough!  GRRR!
Finished up the run and looked at overall pace.... 8:30!  WOW!  But would I be sore and tired for my run tomorrow?

Saturday was 8 miles recovery!
My goal was 8 miles!  No goal time involved.  I was not sore at all from yesterday's run.  I felt really good, in fact!  However, I had been up late the night before because Abigayle had 3 friends over for a slumber party, I had a baby shower that morning until 1200, it was windy and cool, I was running later than normal, and I only had about an hour before I had to be back home to get ready for Maggie's basket ball game!  I love to here people say they could never run as much as me because they don't have time.....but that's another soapbox.... anyway, I never warmed up on this run.... and my legs were tired!  Not sore, but tired!  I completed the run, went home, ate 5 cookies, changed and went to Maggie's basketball game!
Tough!

Next week is a step back week!  Praise the LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment