Monday, February 6, 2012

Week 6 - 1/29/12 - 2/4/12

I believe that God is in control.  The same God that parted the Red Sea many years ago is the same God that is in control of my life.  I believe that God has given me the ability to run fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon.  I believe that HE made it a reality that I was able to sign up and get in.  I believe HE is in control of my training and, for some reason, HE wants me to run in this particular marathon......at least at this point in time.
Now, Why do I say all this.  I believe that this week, God has taught me (once again) that I can trust Him!  I already trust Him with my eternity.  When I was 5 I asked Him to be my Savior.  Now, as an adult, I continue to make Him my Lord.  If he is my Lord, then He gets everything I have....even my running. 
Eric Liddell, the winner of the Men's 400 metres at the 1924 Summer Olympics held in Paris, once said, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure."  Now I'm not going to pretend that I am fast.  But God did give me the ability to run..... and when I do, I feel Him.  I feel the joy He has in seeing me do the best I can do to bring honor and glory to Him.
And so now..... I go into my 6th week of training!

Monday was a tempo run!
This was a wonderfully glorious run.  Goal was 8 miles with 6 of them at tempo pace.  I was a bit anxious because this is a rather fast pace (7:43-8:03) for me to hold for 6 miles.  I honestly didn't know if I could do it.  I warmed up 1.5 miles then off I went.  I ran each mile right below tempo pace except for mile 5.  However, mile 5 went onto the dirt and gravel trail that had been flooded, so I had to jump mud puddles and splash through water.  So, the effort was the same.  Then I cooled down at a slower pace for about half a mile.  This run almost seemed effortless.

Tuesday was swim day!
2000 meters was on the plan for the day.  However, a call from work threatened my getting to the pool.  After almost a full morning of getting all my ducks in a row, I finally got to swim.  I noticed my foot was hurting again... but just a little bit.
I got in the pool and only could beat out 1500 meters.  By the end, my foot was hurting a little bit more and I was so tired that I just wanted to curl up in a ball and sleep.  By the time I picked up the girls from school, I could not put weight on my left foot..... oh no!  Not good!  So like a good runner girl, I call my poditerist.  They were wonderful and got me an appointment for 0900 the next morning.

Wednesday....The Doctor!
My Left Foot!
So at 0900, I'm at the doctor.  They take x-rays and hang them in my room while I wait for the doctor to come in.  So naturally I try to figure out what is wrong..... with no luck! 
Soon the doctor walks in and asks me how I'm doing.  I politely let him know that "how I'm doing" will totally depend on his diagnosis.  I also show him my Brooks running shoes and let him know that if he says I cannot run anymore, I will hit him with said shoes.  He laughs.....I guess he thought I was kid'n.....I'm not!
He tells me that my foot looks good on the x-ray then asks me a series of questions..... including "So, what marathon are you training for?"  I tell him, and he smiles and says no problem.  He's a marathon runner too!  So he understands.
He explains that I have a neuroma.  A little nerve that has gotten all swollen and painful in between my 4th and 5th toe.  He explains to me that he understands I want to run Boston and need to stay consistant with my training...so he tells me two things.
  1. Even though he loves Brooks, I need to go back to my Asics for most of my runs.  He shows me how each shoe bends at the toes and says the Brooks put too much strain on my toes.  So now I have to dish out more money for another pair of shoes!  GRRRR!  But can you ever have too many shoes?  Now will Matt go for it....?
  2. I am going to get a cortizone shot.  A SHOT!  IN MY TOE NERVE!  I ask him if that is really necessary.  He says, "You want to run Boston?"  Yes I do, so bring on the shot! 
Now I like to think I have a high tolerance for pain.  Hey, I run marathons, that's pain!  And I have had 2 full term babies (with no pain meds)!  But this shot HURT!  When he put it in that nerve, my foot went numb.  But not enough to dull the pain.  I almost came out of my chair.  Good Grief!
After the shot... I was told that I had to do what he said.... And he said it was best if I put my 16 mile long run off until Saturday... and no double long runs this week.  So I am missing 2 days of running....Big picture!  Big picture!  I will be better off because of this!  .......and he said I can swim.

Thursday I decide to mix it up!
I do swim but add the circuit training into the mix!  At this point, my pinky toe and side of my foot is numb and swolen. Maybe the swim will help!
Swim 500 to warm up.
Then I do the following workout 2x:
Swim 200 FAST!
Jump out of the pool and do pushups, situps, lunges, squats, and some other stuff.
Swim 200 FAST!
Jump out of pool and do elavated pushups, squats, tricep dips, lunges, superman and other stuff
Swim 200 FAST!
Cooldown 500 yards!
I was shaking when I finished.  However, my foot felt better!

Friday I wanted to run SOOOOO bad!  But I just did yoga.  It is a deep stretch class.  I could tell my legs and hips were messed up from my limping....due to the foot.
I also got my Asics!  God is good!  Dick's Sporting Goods had the 2160s on sale for $69.99, because Asics has come out with the 2170*.  I had a coupon for $10.00 off!  Woot!  So I got my running shoes for about $65.00!  They normally around $100.00 so I was excited. 
*Keep in mind though, even though these are the shoes I wear, it is last year's brand so Dick's was trying to get rid of them.  The 2170s are $107.00 at Dicks.  Even with the coupon, I would have gotten the 2170 cheaper at Run For You Life because I get a 15% discount there.

Saturday was my 16 mile long run!
I felt like a dog that had just noticed the gate was open and was free.  I was so excited!
This run was going to be split into 2 sections so I could change shoes.  My Asics got to go first!  Then the Brooks!
I first ran what we call the Y loop.  This was around 11 miles including some out and backs I added in.  It is mostly flat until around mile 7.  Then it starts up a hill we all call Kathy's hill.  Then another series of hills ending with David Taylor.  As I said earlier, I wore my new Asics during this first part of the run.  They were a little stiff but I knew that going into the run.  All in all, everything felt good.
Then I went back to the car, put on the Brooks and headed back down David Taylor.  Wow these shoes are much lighter than the Asics!  The plan was to hit as many hills as I could to simulate the hills in the second half at Boston.  I think I found my "Heartbreak Hill" right here in Charlotte.  It is called Senator Royall.  It is a BEAST!  David Taylor is flat in comparasion.  I hit this hill around mile 14... WOW!  After going up...up...up, I had to run another mile to finish out the run.  My calf was cramping and I was tired.  But I knew this was good practice for Boston, so I ran.  I ran and felt the joy of being able to run.  To experience the pain.  To finish.  To stop.  And to meet all my buddies at Caribou after the run for some coffee.

Sunday was the Big Attic! 
Lots of dancing, jumping, acting, and acting crazy!  This is where I was paid back for running with a tight calf!  The opening song I jumped on my left leg and my calf cramped up.  I almost went to the ground.  Was able to pull it together until I got backstage... then had a cast member try to rub the knot out.  She got it so I could walk with out limping but dude, IT HURT! 
When I got home, I soaked my leg in hot water and massaged the knot!  OUCH! I got most of it out so I hope it doesn't effect tomorrow's run!

2 comments:

  1. I pretty much cringed at every part of that blog post. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, your blog posts are a gift! I love reading them -- and I know that God has great plans for you.

    ReplyDelete