Sunday, February 19, 2012

Week 8 - 2/12/12 - 2/18/12

So week 8 of my training was the first time I have ever run as a 40 year old.  I turned 40 on 2/12/12 so I entered into a new age group and era of running.  I'm hoping this age group will be less competitive and I can win some bling this year.... but we will see.  I just need to get my body to cooperate with me so I can run Boston!
Week 8 also is a stepback week.  After last week's 38+ miles, I had 2 issues going into this week.
  1. I was so tired that I wanted to sleep instead of run (but that may be due to the book I have been staying up late to read)
  2. I ate EVERYTHING in sight!  No really....anything I could get my hands on!
So a stepback week was welcomed.  However, the only thing that goes down on a stepback week is the long run... or in my case, the long runs.  The Monday tempo run goes up 1 mile and Wednesday's circuit training doesn't give me a break!

Monday was a tempo run!
9 miles, 5 being at tempo pace...Today was COLD!  I had so many clothes on and still, my normal 2 mile warm up did not suffice.  So I added on 1 more mile for the warm up.  After the "warm up" I reluctantly upped the pace.  Mile 4, 6, 7, and 8 were right on target.  However, mile 5 was an 8:20.  I just couldn't get the push off I needed to keep the pace up.  I was on a muddy trail so I figured this was the problem.  Once I got back on the paved trail, I was golden!  Then I took the last mile for a cool down!

Tuesday was swimming
I always use this as a recovery day.  The swimming helps my tired muscles recover better.  This particular day, however was Valentines Day and my Abigayle's birthday.  Yes, I had my first baby on Valentine's Day.  So I felt rushed and never really got into my workout.  I cut it short about 500 so I only got in 1500 meters.

Wednesday was Circuit!
This is always hard and painful.... but in a good way. ;o) 
I have included my heart rate data for this run!
I warmed up 2 miles, cooled down 1 mile, and ran at a 7:13 mile per minute for 3.5 miles (in half mile increments).  In between the half mile repeats, I did strength training. 
I'm going to feel this in the morning!

Thursday was a "rest day" from working out.... So me and Michelle went to Lulu Lemon!  Woot! Woot!

Friday was my "long run"
I only had 12 miles today but I felt like I did 26.2.  I started the run sore and tired from the Wednesday morning Circuit.... and staying up late to read....
The run was uneventful and fun.  I was wore my pink Lulu skirt and a matching pink shirt I purchased just yesterday.  Wow, I don't think I have EVER had on that much pink before.  I was really pink, but the outfit was comfortable.... I may wear this for the marathon.  You couldn't miss me, but it may be too much!

Saturday was 6 miles recovery!
This was a recovery run.  I dropped off Abigayle at swim practice, went and ran 6 hilly miles, then went to Maggie's basket ball game.  I ran the hills of Highland Creek!  Those are a BEAST!  Maybe this is where I need to do hill work!

So, this week was a bit over 33 miles....and next week is coming.  I start the really long runs next week. 
I'm Scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment