Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week 5 - 1/22/12 - 1/28/12

This week of training was what I call a step back week.  A step back week simply means I step back on my long run miles before I increase.  For example, last week, my long run was 14.  This week 10.  Next week, it will go up to 16. MERCY!
This week was also the week I receive much unwanted advice about my weight and my running.  People LOVE to say crazy things to me.  No really, just ask some of my closest friends. 
Here are a few running and health related comments that I get most often.
  1. I look like I have an eating disorder.... Really?  Now as some of you know, I am a Mental Health Therapist, so I know the criteria for Anorexia and Bulimia.  I do NOT meet the criteria for either.  However, people love to tell me I need to eat more.  If they only knew how much I eat!
  2. Running is really bad for me!  I just chuckle when I hear this.  I know that not running would be bad for me, because I would become a danger to myself and others.  I am actually healthier now than I was when I was younger and not running.  Now I am not saying that I couldn't get hurt, but I could get hurt walking down the stairs too.   Here is a short writeup that refutes this notion.
  3. And the funniest of all...Yes this is said to me, is "If I continue to run like I do, my uterus will fall out".  My response is, "Well that's OK, I don't need it anymore anyway".
So there you have it.  Now how can I say this, without it saying rude?  Well I can't, so as teens say (before saying something offensive), "No Offence",  but I really don't want to hear advice like that.  So with all that said.... here is my insane training for the week.  I hope I still have a uterus after it! =)
As always, whatever is highlighted has a link.  The days of the week that are highlighted have a link to my garmin.

Monday was a Tempo Run!
I woke up to the pitter patter of rain on my windows and knew that a good tempo run would not be happening outside today.  So I drug myself to the YMCA and pounded out 7 miles (5 of it at tempo pace)on the dreadmill. 
1 mile warm up
1 mile at 8:00
1 mile at 7:53
1 mile at 7:47
1 mile at 7:53
1 mile at 8:00
1 mile cool down
I HATE THE DREADMILL!  But I LOVE running!

Tuesday was 2000 meters (or 1.24 miles) of glorious lap swimming!
I met Bree (my good friend who I ran my 1st marathon with) at the NOMAD to swim.  This is where my Abigayle swims for her swim team.  We jumped in the pool and I really thought I was going to go into hypothermia.  After about 15 minutes, I want numb so it wasn't so bad.  But really, they have a wonderful pool and it was a joy to swim there.

Wednesday was Hill Work!
This was 7xhill!  I really thought I was going to die!  After consulting many people about the Boston course, I have decided that it would be good to practice running up and down hills.  Now I have been told that up hill running is easy.... it's the down hills that get you.  I was a sceptic.  However, after a few downhill repeats, I believe.  Here is a write up on down hill running just in case you want to know more!

Thursday was a rest day from training and I needed it!  My quads were trashed from my hill repeats!

Friday was my Long Run!
This was 10 miles with the middle 7 at a faster pace! 
I know, guys, you don't care about my running outfit rambling....but.... I wore my PINK LuLu Skirt today!  My sweet hubby got it for me.  I have to say it was almost too much because it is tooooooo cute!
Anyway, back to the run!  It was really hot and humid today so the first 2 miles were a warm up where my heart rate was out the roof and I couldn't breath!  (Maybe running is bad for me... HaHa!)  But after we picked up the pace I was fine.  I just wish I could run a full marathon at this pace!  Now that would be cool!

I had to do 7 miles today.  Because I ran a bit faster on Friday I decided to make this a recovery run.  The only problem was that I only had an hour to complete 7 miles.  I had dropped Abigayle off at swim practice while I ran.  I find it amazing how getting back to pick up my baby girl pushes me to run faster.  So this run was run right at marathon pace.  My legs were a bit tired, but all in all, it was a good run.

So, at the end of the week, I completed all my workouts, felt pretty good, and still had all my vital organs in tact.  So I guess it was a good week.

I want to hear from you!  What is the craziest thing someone has said to you?  It can be running related or not!

1 comment:

  1. You shouldn't joke about that Christa....I once had my uterus fall out on a tempo run. :)

    ReplyDelete